Friday 6 September 2013

Mourning Summer

Summer is gone.  She left us without a thought to our suffering.  She has forgotten us already and moved on.

She has left us shivering in the cold and reaching for our hoodies, in darkness and despair as headlights, lamps and overhead lights come on earlier and earlier, depressed as barbequing, beachcombing, and boating are far less comfortable, longing for our hammocks, flip-flops, and beach towels, aching for the smell of sunblock and bug spray---Screeeeech....

Wait a minute - no more mosquitoes, sunburns, and sand in everything - that b*%ch wasn't all great!

Summer is gone.  She has left without a trace or care.

To quote a great song, "we are all out of love".

But we are also all out of excuses. 

No more -  "I can't write, edit, polish or perfect that story...summer's too short, I have to get out there and enjoy it." 

Love affair's over baby - back to your true love, the one who's always been there for you, nurturing your talent, loving you rain or shine or four feet of snow - your writing.

I surveyed my writing desk.  It's a mess.  Dust-laden and neglected, piled with unfinished projects and jotted-down ideas - I have been an unfaithful hound.  It's time to "bring back that lovin' feeling" and re-dedicate myself to my writing. 

And as I clean away the dust and tidy the papers, grabbing a slip or a note and thinking "ohhhh, I remember this, this was a great idea!" or reading an unfinished story and thinking, "why did I ever leave you?  What was I thinking?"  The heart-pounding is back, the passion re-lit, and summer is forgotten, drowned in a flood of shame.

Writing and I are re-united, we are stronger than ever, I will never leave again...what, is that a perfumey whiff of sunblock I smell? 

No, NO! I don't care...I am strong! I am devoted to my writing!

Here's to you and the re-kindling of your own passions!

Julie Serroul

3 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes. No lie. I can't wait to read the next thing you write!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sher!

    You are a devoted fan. It's an exclusive club, but hey you are at the top with my other fan...I mean fans, of course, I have more than two, really, I do - heh heh

    ReplyDelete